When you take your first bite of Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken, you’ll make a vow to NEVER order Chinese takeout again. It’s impossible for any restaurant to top this recipe — and that’s not even the best part!
For many of us, General Tso’s Chicken has always been our favorite takeout dish. Those lightly battered pieces of dark chicken fried in a chili-accented sweet-and-sour sauce are simply irresistible!
But when you try this super easy and delicious recipe for Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken, your tastebuds will never be the same.
So what’s the BEST part about this genius recipe? It’s surprisingly healthier than ordering takeout! Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken is a hassle-free AND guilt-free way to satisfy your Chinese takeout cravings.
Here’s how to make Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- green onions for serving, if desired
- sesame seeds for serving, if desired
- Add chicken and cornstarch to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Saute chicken until golden brown on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. (Note the chicken will not be fully cooked and that is ok)
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add hoisin sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil to a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the sauce onto the chicken and stir to coat the chicken.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!
* Serve with green onions and sesame seeds for serving, if desired.
* For an extra kick serve with some Sriracha sauce or crushed red pepper flakes.
Recipe by Chef Savvy.